THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 17, 2006

your love is better than chocolate


Nostalgia hits hard tonight. One year ago, around this time, David and I were leaving our wedding reception and heading off into the unknown world of married life. I remember being terrified and overwhelmed, excited but also melancholy. I think I felt that all the events that occur on a typical wedding day were just too much to swallow and process in just a few hours. It's like I needed a 24 hour debriefing session immediately after the wedding so I could pause a minute and reflect on what just happened. But one isn't usually afforded this opportunity, you go straight from the reception to your honeymoon with some goodbye hugs and a trail of bubbles being blown. I think the melancholy emotion I felt came from two things. One, realizing that it would be a while until there was another chance to have all our closest friends and family together in one place again. A wedding gives you the best reason to have this happen, and there aren't many more reasons that come up in life where you can have the excuse to rent out a reception hall and fill it with 200 people who have shared life with you. Secondly, I think I was just plain scared of the uncertainty of what was ahead of me.

I describe all these muddled, somewhat sad feelings that I had leaving our reception because if I had known how incredible the next year would be, I would have left jumping and dancing with joy. I don't know if I have laughed more than I have this last year (my husband's a frickin stand-up comedian folks!). I've had so many memorable experiences over the last year and most of them would not have happened if David and I hadn't been married. Not like it's been a total breeze all the time, but being married and living with my best friend has definitely raised my 'happy' quotient in life. Couldn't imagine it any other way, really. All I can say is I don't know what the next year holds, but at least I know I'll be sharing it with with him, and in the end, that's all that matters anyway.

1 comments:

SparkFaith said...

Beautifully said:)