THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Rats in Paris, African dictators, and trouble in Iran




During the last few days, the temperature here has been slightly less than what it might feel like in hell. In my opinion, going outside isn't really an option. So what's left to do? Enjoy the AC in your home while watching a good flick. Here are some movies that I've seen lately that I'd recommend:


Not Without My Daughter
- I forget how I heard about this movie, but was interested enough to put it on my Netflix queue. Although the overall production value of this movie felt more like a 'made-for-TV' movie than a film shown in theaters, the story still held my attention, mainly because it is based on true events. It centers on Betty (Sally Field), a woman married to Moody (Alfred Molina), an Iranian doctor who has been in America for 13 years. They have one younger daughter. Upon losing his job due to what Moody believes are the racist attitudes of the hospital towards Iranians, Moody decides it is time to revisit his family in Iran, who he has not seen in quite some time. Betty is reluctant, but decides to go. From here, it is pretty obvious that things will go sour upon arriving in Iran (and they do), but Sally Field's performance as a bewildered mother trapped in a country that gives her no parental rights to her daughter is so believable that it covers over the cheesy overtones of forewarning. The fact that this movie is based on a true story is the only reason I'd recommend it.

The Last King of Scotland
Like "Blood Diamond" and "Hotel Rwanda", this is another movie that shows a dark and sinister side of Africa's recent history. Based on a book by the same name, it focuses on the rise of infamous Ugandan president/dictator Idi Amin (Forest Whitaker) and his fictional relationship with a young Scottish doctor, Nicholas Garrigan, who has initially come to Uganda seeking adventure. Through a series of events, Garrigan is enticed into becoming Amin's personal physician and eventually, even his personal advisor. Even though Garrigan's character was created solely for the book/film, the portrayal of Idi Amin is still based completely in truth. Forest Whitaker won a Best Actor for this film and his performance captured the violent insanity of this dictator. At parts, it's a hard movie to watch, but definitely worth it.

Ratatouille
Now, on to lighter subjects. Like a country rat becoming a renowned chef in the culinary capital of Paris. I must say, when I first saw the teaser trailer for Pixar's newest film six months ago, I was skeptical. I was also let down by the last Pixar movie "Cars", so I was trying not to get my hopes up too much for whatever they would make next. Well, this movie may be the best cinematic experience of my summer. I couldn't stop smiling through it because as I was watching it, I realized I was watching something that will be a Disney classic, a movie that I will want my grandchildren to see. The characters are great, the visual look of the film is stunning, and the overall story is original (gasp!). Get up and go see this movie. NOW!


Some movies on our Netflix queue:

-Big Night
-Cinderella Man
-Pan's Labryinth
-The Big Chill

1 comments:

Dan said...

Watch Pan's Labyrinth when you're in a good mood. Definitely a "feel-good" film.

[dan]