THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 04, 2010

shaking off the dust

My blogging has been neglected for some time. There are many variables I could blame (the grad school/working full-time combo at the top of the list) but I must admit that instead of blaming outside forces, it's been more of an internal thing. The desire to capture my sometimes thoughtful, sometimes random musings has been there but the last several months, I just haven't had the inner motivation to actually go from thinking about it to actually doing it. And while I don't fool myself into believing that there are lots of people on the other end of this screen who are eagerly awaiting my blog updates, I do want to be better about blogging if only for the sole reason of slowing down and actually reflecting on the small and big aspects of my life. Having the tendency to get so caught up in the never-ending details of life, it is good mental medicine for me to pause and write so that I can fully absorb what I'm thinking.

Needless to say, a lot has happened since I last posted. Ideally, I'd like to write separate posts on a lot of these things but honestly, I just don't have the energy. And also, it's not quite the same to write in-depth about something that happened 2 months ago...it just feels a little stagnant to me. So instead, here's a summary from the last few months and here's to hoping I can better maintain this little virtual space of mine on a more regular basis!

First year of graduate school- check
It was a year that tested my resolve and that caused me to evaluate why I truly want to enter the field of career counseling. I quickly realized how my program was not going to teach me how to help someone improve their resume or interviewing techniques, but rather empower people to improve their overall lives....which was a somewhat surprising yet exciting discovery. It was a year of getting to know the most diverse group of people I've ever been a part of. This led to hearing and learning and considering different perspectives and angles about the world that I had never thought about before. It was a year where I was challenged, was frustrated, was emotionally fulfilled, was transformed....and this is just the beginning of a lifelong process of becoming a counselor. I'm glad I get the summer to rejuvenate and hopefully come back refreshed for another whirlwind of an academic year!

End of a television era
May was a historic month in pop culture for me. "LOST" and "24", two television shows that contributed so much to the realm of entertainment in my life over the last 6-8 years, aired their last episode within a day of one another. For different reasons, I knew that both shows needed to end. Yet it was still bittersweet to watch the final minutes of each show knowing there would never be another original episode of two innovative television series that can never be replaced. I'm not trying to be melodramatic, but especially those who shared a heartfelt love for "LOST" with me can understand this feeling of losing something special. Take, for example, my LOSTie friend Brea's poignant post about what the show meant to her. Similar to Brea, both of these shows have not only merely entertained, but I can honestly say they have contributed fond memories to my friendships and even my marriage. David and I both started watching these shows together when we were dating, and they became part of our lives through our engagement, through our first years of marriage. Looking back, I will cherish the memories of being glued to the TV waiting in suspense to find out what Locke would find in the hatch or what corrupt conspiracy Jack Bauer would foil this time. I look forward to buying these DVD box sets and someday watching them with our kids (who we might have to initially bribe into watching an "old" show from 2004) and exposing them to a unique piece of television history.

NYC/DC Vacay
This trip rocked my socks. We spent time in two amazing cities with awesome company enjoying delicious food and tasty drinks....what more could you ask for from a vacation? In New York, me, David, and Jeff (David's bro) stayed at Katie (David's cousin and my honorary cousin)'s fabulous apartment on the Upper East Side and let's just say I can't wait to stay with her again! This is now my fourth time going to NYC and as always, the city cast it's spell on me--from our Trader Joe's sponsored picnic in Central Park, seeing a new part of Brooklyn, having the most delicious crepe of my life at a cozy restaurant in the East Village, fitting in a little shopping in SoHo, and finding a new favorite cupcake at Two Little Red Hens, this visit to NYC did not disappoint.

We then hopped on a BOLT bus and headed to DC to visit our friends Diana and Cody for a few days. When we went to DC back in 2007, we tried to cram as much in as possible so it was nice to go at a more relaxed pace this time. To get into the true spirit of Memorial Day, it only felt right to visit Arlington National Cemetery and while we were at it we visited good ole' Abe lounging in his chair at his memorial as well. We also experienced culinary greatness in many forms--specifically at Amsterdam Falafelshop and our DC fave, Pizzeria Paradiso (their pizza is quite literally a little slice of heaven). Another highlight was being able to see the Museum of American History (since it was under renovation when we were there a few years ago)--- I got goosebumps looking at historical icons like THE star-spangled banner and Lincoln's top hat. I'm a wannabe history nerd, what can I say? We had such a fun time and are so blessed to know people who are willing to host us on the East Coast because we'll definitely be back again!

Book club
I love to read. I love to socialize. So with the help of my friend and fellow bookworm, Jenny, we started a summer book club and it's been just splendid. Somehow we hit the jackpot and compiled a group of rad women and I haven't had such fun discussing books since I was in my 10th grade English class (no I'm not being sarcastic, I loved most of my high school English classes). I love our book club so much I created a separate blog for it: http://weliketobookit.tumblr.com/

Ok, ok my fingers hurt. More blogging to come!








0 comments: