THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

brain food

Every morning, one of my former campus supervisors sends out a quote of the day and today's was:

If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears.
-Glenn Clark

Since I'm definitely in a traveling mood (56 days to Disneyworld and 123 days to Costa Rica!) this was a good metaphor for me to think about.

In other random news,I finished my first book of the summer last week, Three Junes. This was a great read largely because the story took place in several locations - Ireland, Greenwich Village, and Greece -- and so I felt like I was able to travel with the characters to these places. The main characters in this novel were richly developed and by the end, I felt like I had gotten a good insight into their lives, even if they were fictional. I would definitely recommend it.

I am currently doing a quick read of Roald Dahl's "The BFG" because it is one of my favorite children's books. I was reading on the bus yesterday and there was a family a few seats next to me. One of the little girls whispered (not so softly) to her mom: "Why is that woman reading a kid's book?" Her mom replied: "Because a good story isn't meant for just kids!" Amen.

Next, I will finally be reading a book my dear friend Kate has recommended to me for YEARS: Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. I'm gladly taking any other recommendations as well!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Three Junes as well - I read that in college I think. I'm glad you're going to read "Peace Like a River" - for some reason that book always touches me deeply.

Love you!