THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 08, 2008

A change is gonna come


This weekend, Obama became the Democratic nominee (well, technically that won't happen until the convention in August, but let's not be too nit pickey here ok?). This is amazing. He beat the Clinton machine and all of it's ruthless, polarizing tactics. When he first announced his candidacy back in February 2007, I was hopeful, but I felt that I was also being naive to think he could honestly beat a Clinton. It seemed like all their power in the political arena would just CRUSH him and he wouldn't stand a chance. But people got excited at the prospect of someone who wasn't already jaded or corrupted by the political arena. And people showed this excitement by actually participating in the political process of VOTING. Imagine that!
Now I know Obama has his flaws, I've said this before. He's not a messiah, he won't solve all of our problems. But I do believe that Obama can evoke change---a change in the pessimistic attitude towards our country that has permeated the thoughts of many US citizens for the last few years. I think that despite what he does policy-wise, this may be one of the most important changes---from pessimism to hope. Have we all heard that word, "hope", a million times throughout all of his speeches over the last 16 months? Yes. Will it ever get old? To me, I think not.

0 comments: