THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 17, 2008

War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is truth


I first read George Orwell's classic "1984" the summer after I graduated from high school. I was completely captivated by the story from the first to the last page and still emphatically recommend it to anyone I know who has NOT read this timeless masterpiece. Well, I determined that it's time to re-read one of my favorite novels of all time, and so I bought a copy from Borders and started reading it yesterday. Not many books have the power to suck me in right from the very first words---usually it takes at least 20 pages for me to "warm up" into a story. But even though this is my second time reading it, Orwell's fictional (but maybe becoming less fictional) world where conformity and Big Brother rule supreme, is capturing me again from the very first chapter and promises to hold me in total awe until the unthinkable words uttered on the last page. In fact, I'm taking a lunch break to go read another few chapters right now. Ciao.

2 comments:

Steven Ormsbee said...

I want to read this! I still never have! Dang I wish I had it over here. Maybe I will look for it in the next few days before I head to Austria/Hungary/Slovakia...

Anonymous said...

Hey my name is D.O. and I recently posted a comment on your post about Shane Claiborne telling you about Another World is Possible. Well I've just got one more thing I wanted to tell you about and then I'll leave you alone. The folks who made the AWIP DVD's are making a feature-length documentary called "The Ordinary Radicals." The film will address many of the negative stereotypes that are affiliated with present-day Christianity, and tell the stories of ordinary folks who are disproving these generalizations. People doing pretty amazing things, motivated by their faith. I think you should check it out. Interviews include folks like Shane Claiborne, Rob Bell, Brian McLaren, Ron Sider, Becky Garrison, and a whole host of others. If you'd like to learn more or pre-order the DVD, check out the website at www.theordinaryradicals.com.


Oh, and realize that this has nothing to do with your post, but I couldn't find a "contact" link anywhere to email you. Hope you don't mind.